OVCE Auditions, 2017-2018 Concert Season
Thank you so much for visiting this page and your interest in auditioning for One Voice Chorus Ensemble. This group is tasked with performing outside of the 3 subscription concert season, for the Richmond Metropolitan Community and Beyond. OVCE is the flagship ensemble that takes our mission of "Singing the beauty and power of diversity" to venues where the full chorus can not fit.
This year, our audition process will be held on Monday, August 14 and Thursday, August 17 from 5:00pm to 9:00pm at First Unitarian Universalist Church (1000 Blanton Ave.) near Dogwood Dell. You will need to reserve a slot for a 10 minute audition.
We desire members of this group to have an open heart and mind, to be prepared to sing sometimes at short-notice, to work hard inside and outside of rehearsals, to be intrinsically motivated, as well as to work hard as part of a semi-professional group of choristers. To that regard, while reading music is not a requirement, it is a big help in your preparedness for rehearsals.
We do ask that member be prepared to:
- Attend rehearsals on Monday Night, from 5:45-7:00.
- To learn as much of their music at home and be prepared to collaborate during rehearsal time frame. Repertoire lists are given out at the beginning of each season and members are expected to work on music as they can.
- Sing with the Full Chorus on no fewer than 2 of the 3 subscription concerts. (November, March, June)
The audition for OVCE (approximately 10 minutes) will consist of the following:
- A Range Check, which will discover the lowest and highest note you can comfortably sing, as well as what color (light, dark, etc) your voice will bring to the group.
- A Pitch Matching exercise, where you will demonstrate how well you can match pitch with the piano. This will be done in randomized segments of 3, 4, and 5 note combinations.
- In order to demonstrate you ability to master a composition, you will sing a Prepared Audition Piece of the conductors choosing, which will be available in keys that work for Sopranos, Altos, Tenors, and Basses. For your convenience, a rehearsal track will be prepared for you with and without piano accompaniment.
- In order to demonstrate your ability to learn in a short time frame, as well as to determine how well you can read rhythm and melody, you will sing a short composition, via Sight-Reading. Please do not let this scare you off. Remember, Sight Reading is a skill that CAN be taught and learned. Sight reading is NOT the most valuable tool a musician has.
Audition materials are posted below. In the YouTube Playlist, there will be one professional singer performing the work, a track with your part played with the accompaniment, and a track with the accompaniment only. In the audition, you will hear the accompaniment only track.
Please use this link to sign up for your audition time. If you do not find a time that works for you, please feel free to ask for an audition time that works for your schedule. I am happy to set up any audition time starting Sunday evening, August 13; up until the evening of auditions on August 17. After 9:00pm on August 17, I will not host any additional auditions.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact artistic director Lynn Atkins at email@example.com.